Google Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

I'm not talking about specifically McGuire and Sosa, those guys were going to play anyway. I'm sure there are tons of guys who were on the cusp of making it who decided to roid up and knocked another guy out.

Is it ok if a guy lies on his resume and gets a job instead of you? You had the same options available.
    Can he do the job as good or better than me?

Comment

Originally posted by tOSUfanboi2 View Post

It’s legal to do, so there’s nothing stopping him. Would I do it? No, but that’s a moral choice I make as an individual and I accept that there’s going to be consequences to that. I wouldn’t take steroids either, to me the risks outweigh the benefits given the general quality (or lack thereof) of a lot of the shit that’s out there, but I’m also not an athlete. Now if I was an NFL linebacker and sticking that needle in my ass was the difference between $30 million and being unemployed? I might not see it the same way.
      The sad part with baseball players is that back in the day none of them used to lift weights. You would never see a baseball player in a weight room, because it was taboo and would hurt their arm. Even at his peak, Bonds had a 315 lb bench. I knew kids in HS that could do that.

I think what Sosa and McGuire and Bonds did most for baseball is to show what strength and power can do. Now you're seeing bigger guys in the league like Aaron Judge, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FuqMizzou View Post

The sad part with baseball players is that back in the day none of them used to lift weights. You would never see a baseball player in a weight room, because it was taboo and would hurt their arm. Even at his peak, Bonds had a 315 lb bench. I knew kids in HS that could do that.

I think what Sosa and McGuire and Bonds did most for baseball is to show what strength and power can do. Now you're seeing bigger guys in the league like Aaron Judge, etc.
        Yeah, same goes for Tiger Woods and a few others. I still can’t understand how people managed to convince themselves that having a better functioning body can somehow make you worse at anything, but hey. I guess I just have to remember that these are the same people who made a living making multi-million dollar decisions based on bullshit like “swagger”, “big motor”, etc.

Comment

I’m curious what espn could come up with to have a Bruce Lee 30 for 30. The Kareem angle maybe?

Comment

Baseball is a game that I will never understand why taking PEDs is such a big deal. There are a couple infinite truths about baseball. You can either hit major league pitching, or you can't. Taking PEDs has nothing to do with it. Sure, they can effect the power your swing generates, or can help you be quicker on your feet, but they no help with curveball.

You can hit or you can't. And if you can't there is no PED/steroid in the fucking world that can help you fix that. Baseball was dead, the home run race gave it a rebirth. Fres is 100% right on this.

Comment

Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post
              I’m curious what espn could come up with to have a Bruce Lee 30 for 30. The Kareem angle maybe?
              The Ali angle would be more intriguing

Comment

The announcement of this 30 for 30 (plus COVID-related boredom and spending, which has caused the baseball card hobby to EXPLODE) has card prices surging for McGwire/Sosa/etc. I'm about to put a ton of them on eBay. I held onto them 20 years ago and they've obviously plummeted since then, so no better time than now to try to make a buck or two.

Comment

Did MgGwire and Sosa really save baseball? MLB was really going to just fold if it wasn’t for them? Seems like more of a media narrative.

Comment

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/9/28/17913536/mark-mcgwire-sammy-sosa-steroid-era-home-run-chase

It’s true that baseball suffered after the strike: per-game attendance declined 19.8 percent in 1995 compared to the previous season. (To put that into perspective, the 2018 attendance decline that’s caused so much consternation stands at only 4.2 percent.) But baseball’s popularity had already begun to bounce back before McGwire and Sosa started chasing Ruth and Maris. As I wrote in an essay that appeared earlier this year in

Upon Further Review
                    Per-game attendance recovered much more in 1996 (+6.5 percent) and 1997 (+4.5 percent) than in 1998 (+2.9 percent). In 1999, with the memory of a thrilling record chase fresh in fans’ minds, it barely budged (+0.3 percent). Per-game attendance actually dropped (as did the economy, which might have more to do with attendance) in 2001, and again in 2002 and 2003. Not until 2006—well into the testing era—did MLB bounce all the way back to its 1994 attendance pace (which probably would have tailed off had the ’94 schedule been completed). MLB’s total revenue also increased more from 1995-96 than it did from 1997-98 or 1998-99, and the league’s revenue surpassed its 1993 level by 1997.

I also looked up world series ratings, and the ratings in 1998 and 99 were lower than in 1997 (with two small market teams)

Comment

I watched the first part of Lance. It was ok. I thought it was going to be two hours of covering up roids but spoiler alert, he talks about roids the whole time.

Comment

I want to see a 30 for 30 on Gaydos' Cycle for Cancer. Dude pedalled all the way out to California just to impress Callan but she didn't give AF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't you remember.

Cal Ripken saved baseball by showing up to work for 3 hours every day....

Comment

Originally posted by boomie View Post
                            Don't you remember.

Cal Ripken saved baseball by showing up to work for 3 hours every day....
                            Standing on 3rd base with a fever made him a hero. Today, he would be a criminal.

Comment

Finished second part.

Lance is an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by CheaterMichael View Post
                                Finished second part.

Lance is an asshole.
                                This is why we make it a big deal when a pro athlete actually turns out to be a good person.

Many of the ones that reach the top of their game do so because they are 100% asshole.

Comment

Working...
                                X